This oatmeal recipe has been my go-to the past couple of weekends. Its filling, fairly healthy and super flavorful- perfect for those hanging around in your house shoes kind of mornings.
When you boil the apples in honey and water, it creates this delicious syrup! Depending on the consistency and quality of the honey, you may want to adjust your honey to water ratio.
- 1 small organic Granny Smith apple
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oats (I use Bobs Red Mill brand)
- 2 tsp raw honey
- 1 cup plus a splash of water
- 1 tsp organic cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp organic cloves
- A pinch of salt
- Cut an apple into 1/2-3/4 cubes I leave the skins on.
- Place in a small pot with a splash of water- just enough to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Add honey and bring to a boil, allowing mixture to thicken.
- Prepare the oatmeal as directed on package (I usually use 1/2 cup of oats + 1 cup of water and prepare in the microwave)
- Add clove and cinnamon and salt to the apples. And remove from heat.
- When oats have finished cooking, pour apple mixture over the top. If desired, add a splash of almond milk to keep the oats from getting too thick. You can also add some almonds or pecans if youd like a little more crunch.