Cornbread is the best excuse to eat cake alongside your dinner. This is a slightly sweet, skillet cornbread recipe sweetened with maple syrup and boozed up with a splash of bourbon!
The first shot at this recipe was an EPIC failure. I’m talking trash worthy cornbread. I added cinnamon (just didn’t jive), not enough maple syrup, and WAY TOO MUCH bourbon. I love bourbon, but it was like inhaling bourbon fumes in every bite. I could eat it, but Patty could barely stomach it. Lesson learned, a little bourbon goes a long way.
This cornbread recipe has subtle maple and bourbon flavor. Think of your typical cornbread recipe with a little more caramel and darker flavor.
Here’s What I learned About Making Skillet Cornbread
- Buttermilk makes for better cornbread. It tastes better and it’s more moist than using whole or skim milk.
- You can use butter or oil at the fat. Oil tends to make the cornbread more tender and cakey. I thought butter yielded a solid result that was moist enough without being sticky or too crumbly.
- Around 1/3 cup of maple syrup is the sweet spot for slightly sweet cornbread, while remaining traditional cornbread sweet index. I used 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon of pure maple syrup, but I could be convinced to probably add an extra tablespoon next time.
- I used 2 tablespoons of bourbon, which adds a subtle bourbon essence, I wouldn’t use more than 3 tablespoons unless you want to breathe gasoline. A dark spiced rum would be really interesting too.
- Topping cornbread with honey and butter turns it into an addictive narcotic.
- This would go awesome with roasted bacon brussel sprouts.
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted butter**
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 400 °F. Grease a 8 or 9 inch cast iron skillet.**
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, maple syrup, melted butter, bourbon, and egg.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined/moistened, do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the skillet and bake for about 20 minutes or until top of cornbread is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm with butter and honey.
Can also use a 8×8 square or 9 inch round baking pan.
Can substitute with 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil.
Keywords: skillet cornbread, cornbread recipe, maple bourbon cornbread